Happy Anniversary to me…I mean to Lawdiva! On May 10, 2010 I started writing and just haven’t stopped. I’ve since learned that 70% of blogs die within several months of their commencement or just get so sick they fade away.
So, what has the last four years looked like?
1. Thanks to my earliest readers, in October 2010 I won Best Canadian Legal Blog. What a way to start!
2. By early 2011 my blog articles were published in The Huffington Post, Postmedia’s Canada.com, and many of Canada’s daily newspapers including the Ottawa Citizen, Calgary Herald, Edmonton Journal, Windsor Star, and Regina Leader Post.
3. I have written 588 articles on 13 broad topics including my favourites: family law, criminal law, bad lawyers…and judges, celebrity divorce, pop culture..
4. My stats indicate I receive on average 40 comments from readers every month, and that many more comments are posted on Facebook and LinkedIn. Which articles got the most comments? “Notables Who Failed Their Bar Exam” and my “Disbarred Series”, followed closely by “The Scourge of Family Law: Child Sexual Abuse”.
5. The editors of Canada’s largest daily newspaper, the Toronto Star, liked my Lori Douglas bondage judge stories so much they hired me to write one for them.
6. Award winning US website “abovethelaw” didn’t like my opinions on Judge Lori Douglas and berated me in their commentary…I took their attention as a compliment!
7. My story on the Coachella Music Festival appeared in Palm Spring’s Desert Sun newspaper before it hit my blog… I got lots of hate mail for having the nerve to criticize Coachella, an economic necessity for the little town of Indio, California. You know, I still think Snoop Dog is a ghastly role model for the thousands of young teens who subjected themselves to his filth…
8. Most of my followers are Canadian or American, but I also get readers from many other countries including China, India, Australia, Malta (with a big shout-out to my Aunt Petra), Japan, Russia, Guyana, Singapore, Trinidad, Thailand, South America, and Europe.
9. For me, the best part of penning Lawdiva is hearing from you or not hearing from you, but knowing you’re lurking around…
Keep lurking and I’ll keep writing!
Lawdiva aka Georgialee Lang