We all need a few laughs once in while, so today’s post is intended to focus on the lighter side of divorce, which, believe me, does not exist when you are in the middle of it. It is always amusing to see what Hollywood has to say about the subject, given their residents are abundant among the divorce statistics.
For those who have survived divorce and those who watch from a distance (and are grateful for that), consider the following sound bites and barbs.
1. “Ah yes divorce, the Latin word meaning to rip out a man’s genitals through his wallet.”
ROBIN WILLIAMS, divorced twice
2. “I’m an excellent housekeeper. Every time I divorce, I keep the house.”
ZSA ZSA GABOR, divorced seven times, one anulment
3. “The difference between a legal separation and a divorce is that a legal separation gives the husband a chance to hide his money.” JOHNNY CARSON, divorced three times
4. “Today Pamela and Tommy Lee announced they are getting back together. You know what that means? There’s still hope for Ike and Tina Turner.”JAY LENO, married for 30 years
5. “I’ve given my memoirs more thought than my marriages. You can’t divorce a book.”
GLORIA SWANSON, divorced four times
6. “The secret of a happy marriage remains a secret.”
HENNY YOUNGMAN, married for 60 years
The literary world also has something to say on the topic of divorce:
6. “A divorce is like an amputation, you survive it, but there’s less of you.”
MARGARET ATWOOD, divorced once
7. “The worst reconciliation is better than the best divorce.”
MIGUEL DE CERVANTES, married for 32 years
8. “When two people get a divorce, it isn’t a sign that they “don’t understand” one another,
but a sign that they have at last, begun to.”
HELEN ROWLAND, marital status unknown
As Billy Joel once said “I’d rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.”
Lawdiva aka Georgialee Lang, happily married for 27 years!